Author Topic: Names  (Read 50397 times)

russianuncle

Re: Names
« Reply #390 on: October 21, 2016, 01:56:28 PM »
My two currently live in NJ and came from PA.
Luna-RT male
Jadely-RT female

dwilson

« Reply #391 on: October 21, 2016, 11:01:58 PM »
I live in Phoenix, but moved here in 1982 from PA, which is where I was  born and lived for 20 years. So my little Jersey is now in the sunshine, best time to be in Az. is the winter.. I put her out in her outdoor enclosure for several hours during the day. I will keep her indoors in the summer during the hottest months until she is a few years old.

I will be getting a hermani hatchling from Jersey in the spring. Can't wait! 

russianuncle

« Reply #392 on: October 22, 2016, 04:33:57 PM »
Between your history and your forum Name, you have some potent coindidences with my Luna's first primary keeper and Luna hinself! (My Jadely is another story.) Both Russian torts.

Meanwhile, just mentioning here, as you will be getting a Hermanns in the future, for Hermanni enthusiasts, I always like to mention there is a half rescue/half "zoo" in one of my favorite areas in Europe, a tad inland from the Riviera, about an hour from Cannes called Le Village des Tortues that has tortoises, primarily focusing on the Hermanns due to the area being its local habitat.  You may want to check it out on the web, even if you don't travel to southern France at www.villagetortues.com
Luna-RT male
Jadely-RT female

dwilson

« Reply #393 on: October 22, 2016, 09:00:09 PM »
That's funny, but I never had a tortoise when I lived in PA. Checked out the website for the Herman's, looks interesting and beautiful, maybe someday I will get there!

russianuncle

« Reply #394 on: October 23, 2016, 08:37:16 PM »
Hope you do. Meanwhile, It was Luna's keeper's birth year and Pa. connection that was interesting. Anyway, NJ has unusual laws where torts can be owned but can not be sold or purchased within the state so across the bridge one goes...
Luna-RT male
Jadely-RT female

dwilson

« Reply #395 on: October 23, 2016, 09:12:22 PM »
How did you pick  names for yours, or did they come from the previous owner with names?

russianuncle

« Reply #396 on: October 24, 2016, 10:36:16 PM »
Luna's former "official" owner and I got him technically as a joint effort. He was sold as a she! I assume because his (then assumed she) shell looked like the moon, John named him "Luna". John died unexpectedly Oct. 2014. When Luna was missing last year at my home, I was overwrought and decided to get another, also ended up getting a female thinking that her outside briefly may have him smell her presence. Making a long, outrageous story (you'll prob. find it on the archives here) short, Luna was found the next day and reunited with me the following day (despite the fact he was found 30 feet from me when found, I did not know and Luna ended up half across the state-again, long story many are familiar with around here.) I named Jadely before I got her, almost with "marketing mentality" making sure the name alone would make me adore her even though I was heartbroken about probably never seeing Luna again and the connection with John, plus Luna possibly not surviving out there. "Jadely" was a combination of names of two dogs John and I loved and a term my then recently deceased mother used to use very sweetly. I'm in marketing-I literally "pre sold" myself on Jadely with the name the day before I got her! (By nature, I normally used to chose exotic names, often Asian, as a child, so "Luna" and "Jadely" are not typical but I love them both and their names.)
Luna-RT male
Jadely-RT female

dwilson

« Reply #397 on: October 26, 2016, 10:36:27 PM »
Like the names you picked. Talk about stress with the missing tort and your friend dying. Sounds like things have settled and you are enjoying them. They are quite the escape artists.

stompyandchompysmom

• Anxious Mom
« Reply #398 on: November 30, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
I just found this section.  I love talking about my Stompie and Chompie.  My nephew found a site and ordered two for me even though I told him just one.  He said that they needed a friend.  Of course he was wrong.  When we received them, we called the big one Michelle and little one Shelly.  I decided since they were Russian tortoises, they needed Russian names. I was told they were girls, so I chose Svetlana for the big one and Natalia for the little one after favorite gymnasts.

I housed them together and Svetlana was dominating little Natalia so much that Natalia wasn't interested in eating.  I would give her first go at the food and she literally kicked all the food out of the dish and then stomped it all in the substrate.  I put Svetlana back in and she dug up the food and chomped it all down.  I told my husband this and he said "you just named them "Stompie and Chompie."

Stompie was still having troubles because Chompie kept dominating her, so she gave up and would go in the hide and sleep all the time.  My mother-in-law decided Stompie didn't like her name, so she renamed her "Angelica."  Angelica never really caught on, but their final names are, "Stompie Angelica Natalia" and "Chompie Michelle Svetlana."

I use all their names like a parent does when the kids are not behaving.  I got Stompie to eat once when I used all her names.  I love my little girls.

Jfs

« Reply #399 on: June 01, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »
My name is Jacob and my torts is Ellie
1 RT-Ellie (Female)
3 Hermits-Hermie, Steve, Grouchy (Male, Male, Female).

russianuncle

« Reply #400 on: June 03, 2017, 07:44:33 PM »
My name is Jacob and my torts is Ellie
And a big formal "Welcome" to you and Ellie! I've been reading some of your posts!
Luna-RT male
Jadely-RT female

greensn11

« Reply #401 on: November 27, 2017, 05:25:57 PM »
I have a Russian girl named Callista (after the Galilean moon, Callisto).
We're from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma!
Stephanie&Callista

russianuncle

« Reply #402 on: November 27, 2017, 09:44:10 PM »
Welcome! I wrote a reply to your post (if I recall though, the post wasn't in the "Russian Tortoise" section of the forum which may be to our disadvantage in getting answers).
Luna-RT male
Jadely-RT female

Cindy63

« Reply #403 on: June 21, 2019, 09:32:22 AM »
Feel free to post your name and your tort name as well as pictures
Hi I'm Cindy my Russian tortoise is Rubble

TurtleNarfer

« Reply #404 on: August 11, 2019, 12:24:34 PM »
Narf Russian Tort name is Mr. Turtle