Author Topic: Playsand/Bed-a-Beast substrate... "Mix by weight?"  (Read 885 times)

autumnglory

Playsand/Bed-a-Beast substrate... "Mix by weight?"
« on: October 14, 2008, 06:21:17 AM »
I've been following the care sheet on the RT main page, and got myself a brick of Bed-a-Beast-ish coconut coir and a 10 lb bag of play sand.  Here I find myself confused.  The site says "One "brick" of Bed-A-Beast and an equal volume of play sand by weight (about 2" deep)" - is this DRY coconut coir weight, or WET cc weight?   ???

I want to make sure I do it right... I'm assuming that erring on the side of more coconut coir is better, since sand isn't great by itself.  Ideas?   :)

Jules

• relaxin'
Re: Playsand/Bed-a-Beast substrate... "Mix by weight?"
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 05:18:31 PM »
Yes,  you are correct.

I generally mix the sand in until it looks more like dirt than coir.  I don't know by weight, but it would be wet.
Jules
Chicago

Jenn

• Carl
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »
I add the coconut coir first and then add the sand.
I perfere more coir than sand.
1 RT's
1 Leopard Gecko
2 Dogs
3 Kids
http://aboxturtle.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1215
Jennifer
Fernley,NV

flounderyellow

• Oscar and Felix
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:33:56 PM »
By weight is supposed to be the way to do it, but I never have time to figure it out. So I put a layer of coir down and then cover it with sand. I repeat this until I have the depth I need and then mix it all together. It has worked so far. The only problem I have, as I do one side at a time, is keeping either of my guys out of my way. They love to walk through new substrate and get in my way ;D
Deb
2 male russians, 1 female russian,1 sulcata, 2 3toe boxies
2 Amazon parrots, 1 Halfmoon conure, 1 green cheek conure
4 aquariums
Texas