Author Topic: bugs/mite problem .. how to treat??  (Read 2698 times)

turtle tike

bugs/mite problem .. how to treat??
« on: June 02, 2009, 09:31:50 AM »
Hello All!
We have a Russian Tort, we keep getting small bugs or mites in her enclosure. What can we use to get rid of the critters without hurting our tortoise??
We have been dumping her pen and starting over, but this is getting expensive, and doesn't seem to helping eliminate the issue.
Thank you.

Turtle Tike

chadk

Re: bugs/mite problem .. how to treat??
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 11:49:22 AM »
We'd need to know exactly what kind of bugs.  Are they just in the substrate?  What knind of substrate? 
-Chad

7 kids, 1 big dog, 1 cat, 1 Bearded Dragon, 2 Water Dragons, 2 Leo Geckos, 2 Dumeril's Ground Boas, 1 Ball Python, 1 Mexican Boa, 2 Goats, Rabbits, Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Russian Tort, Sulcata Tort, 2 E. Box Turtles, 3 Toed Box Turtle, 1 Tiger Salamander... One amazing and beautiful wife

turtle tike

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 02:27:57 PM »
We have sand and topsoil substrate. We also have brought in dandilions.

The bugs are tiny, jumping flies. They appear to be white in her water dish, but brown/black on the sand.

We were using the sand and coconut bark before recently switiching to the top soil, but still had the same problem. {only then they were black flies, and didn't jump!}

turtle tike

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 02:32:27 PM »
Side note, these bugs/mites are VERY tiny. They blend in with sand, you really have to watch to see them. Also, her summer enclosure is located in our unfinished basement.

We feel bad for her that her home is being invaded, and would like to provide her with a bug free residence!

flounderyellow

• Oscar and Felix
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
They are probably springtails and they don't hurt the torts. I have them in my guys inside enclosure, which is in the garage. Sometimes I see a lot of them and sometimes none at all.
Deb
2 male russians, 1 female russian,1 sulcata, 2 3toe boxies
2 Amazon parrots, 1 Halfmoon conure, 1 green cheek conure
4 aquariums
Texas

mctlong

• Indiana Jones aka "Indy"
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 04:04:48 PM »
I heard that adding a little orange oil to the soil helps.  I haven't tried it and am not even sure if its healthy.  Does anyone here have experience using orange oil to repel bugs in substrate?
Shelly Long
Encino, California
--------
My non-human family members:
'Indy', Male Russian, wild-caught, approx 11 years old
'Buddy' and 'Hedwig' - Budgie Pair, hatched in 2006 and 2007

Go here for pics of Indy and Jojo: http://www.russiantortoisepictures.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=15956

Joe H

• Administrator
    • Carolina Pet Supply
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 04:17:06 PM »
I heard that adding a little orange oil to the soil helps.  I haven't tried it and am not even sure if its healthy.  Does anyone here have experience using orange oil to repel bugs in substrate?

I wouldn't use it.

RoTTen2TheCore

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
Getting bugs in your substrate can be a real pain and yes end up costing quite a bit by changing the substrate constantly. I have had this problem with frogs and what i would do is throw out all old substrate, clean the inside of the enclosure with a bucket of water and just a cap full of bleach then rinse it out very well and that seems to take care of it. I don't think there are any products that prevent bugs from getting in there that are not toxic so try and find out where these things are coming from. Perhaps they hitched a ride on the dandilions? If you do decide to change the substrate one more time, make sure you really clean out all the decorations with the diluted bleach solution to kill all the eggs and maybe even give your tortoise a good bath to make sure nothing is hitchhiking on him.
Mano Doskis
1 Russian
Got my 1st Russian tort in Oct 2008
Montreal, Canada

Didi

• Tilly and Tess playing leapfrog
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 05:49:13 PM »
If they are not bugging the torts, perhaps it's ok to just ignore them.
Tilly and Tess live with their mom in sunny Southern Oregon.  Hatched by Dan during the summer of 2008.

frankiesue71

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 11:01:11 AM »
I have seen it suggested that you bake the substrate in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 300 degrees before using it. It supposedly kills any larvae or eggs that are lurking in it. I haven't tried it yet, although I am having a problem with little gnats. Probably give it a go this weekend. It did mention that you may need to ventilate well, as the smell of the baking substrate isn't the best.