Author Topic: Pics of my new Sulcata - Meet Dozer!  (Read 1333 times)

chadk

Pics of my new Sulcata - Meet Dozer!
« on: August 14, 2009, 06:26:25 AM »
Dozer is a 12 (roughly) yr old Sulcata.  His previous owner had him for about 10 yrs.  He had to move from his house to an apartment and couldn't take his tort.  So now he's mine!

Dozer came with a small heated tort shed.  Needs some work to be ready for winter, but it is doing the job fine for now.  He has the full side yard to himself.  Tons of yummy weeds all to himself.  I do have the smaller pens in there for the boxies and Russian tort and tiny Sulcata (Thunder).  But they take up very little room and give him something to explore.

So here's Dozer (the name the boys and I chose for him):

As you can see, he is clearly traumatized from the move and lost all his appetite... lol

Oh, and here's a new pic of Thunder.  Need to put thunder on the back of Dozer so you can see the size difference.
Thunder is doing great.  Eating well.  Getting lots of exercise.  Still a little shy, but getting better.  His shell is WAY better now.  Very hard to the touch and darker than when I got him.  He's very solid feeling in the hand - not light weight and soft and hollow shelled like when I got him.
Thunder the tiny Sulcata:
-Chad

7 kids, 1 big dog, 1 cat, 1 Bearded Dragon, 2 Water Dragons, 2 Leo Geckos, 2 Dumeril's Ground Boas, 1 Ball Python, 1 Mexican Boa, 2 Goats, Rabbits, Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Russian Tort, Sulcata Tort, 2 E. Box Turtles, 3 Toed Box Turtle, 1 Tiger Salamander... One amazing and beautiful wife

moeNlily

Re: Pics of my new Sulcata - Meet Dozer!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 10:11:55 AM »
wow he's big! thunder is looking great too. I can't believe the size of dozer's tongue! especially compared to my RT's lol
Sarah
3 Russian Torts - Oscar, Shelby, and Ellie
North Reading, MA

sara J

• What do you want?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 02:54:36 PM »
He is a big boy but very handsome  :)
Lucky is enjoying summer in MI.
Sara and handsome 12 year old RT from Redmond, WA

moeNlily

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 04:55:25 PM »
how much does dozer weigh?
Sarah
North Reading, MA

Betty

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 06:42:54 AM »
Thats what I thought too...OMG  look at the size of that tongue!  They are beautiful torts.  I wish I could have a Sulcatta as well.  But My Sweet Betty is the jealous type.  LOL :D
  Barb
Barb Schmit
Mom to 1 Russian Tortoise
Vancouver, Washington

goatlady13

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 09:02:49 AM »
Chad he is really neat!  I think I WANT one!  I have no idea what I would do with him in the winter though! That is why I opted for a RT...at least I can hibernate him in the fridge.  I am jealous though...Reading your siggy line you have quite the crew there!   I have lots of animals too but not the reptiles you have--we have gone more fr the warm blooded type-HORSES!  Way more expensive than torts....hmmm, maybe I WILL get a Sulcata and get rid of the horses.  I could always heat the barn stalls.  ::) Wonder what Hubby would think of that?  Terri and Stuart the RT

Crush

• Crush trying to escape!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 11:29:09 AM »
Terri,

That made me laugh big time! I don't hear many people want to trade a horse for a reptile lol! :)

And the thing I thought of first was the tongue too! lol

Caitlyn
Caitlyn

Pets
1 Male Russian Tortoise, Crush
1 Female Cat, Suzy
1 Baby Turtle, Ella
1 Fish, Boxer

We all live in the nice, hot, and humid ole state of Louisiana and we love it! :)

chadk

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 01:56:38 PM »
Our winters are pretty mild.  But still too cold for him.  But he'll have a heated shed to stay in, or the 3rd bay of my garage if needed.

We weighed him today and he's 34lbs.
-Chad

7 kids, 1 big dog, 1 cat, 1 Bearded Dragon, 2 Water Dragons, 2 Leo Geckos, 2 Dumeril's Ground Boas, 1 Ball Python, 1 Mexican Boa, 2 Goats, Rabbits, Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Russian Tort, Sulcata Tort, 2 E. Box Turtles, 3 Toed Box Turtle, 1 Tiger Salamander... One amazing and beautiful wife

ChiKat

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 07:14:40 PM »
LOVE the open mouth pics!!  Two adorable torts :)
Katie
NW suburb of Chicago, Illinois
2 dogs, 2 leopard geckos
1 Russian tortoise Nelson, hatched in May 2009

Spuds mom

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 05:17:35 AM »
That's what I call a big 'ol whoppin' tort!  He is SO cool.  I wish I had one, I think they are such a nice looking breed.  And Thunder is just plain beautiful!  He really looks good...his shell is so pretty.  Post a pic so we can see the difference!  Okay, now I need one!
3 boys (13, 10 & 8)
1 Russian tort
1 Florida box turtle
1 Sheltie, 1 longhair brindle dachshund, 1 poodle mix
1 very mean cat
1 sweet bunny, 1 guinea pig
1 firebelly newt, 1 beta fish
Sheila ~ Jacksonville, FLorida

chadk

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 10:48:19 AM »
Here's a few pics with the 2 torts together to give you an idea of how they compare...  both of how small thunder is (about 5 inches) and how big a 34 lb tort look together...

First pics are of the tort\turt yard.  Temporary pens and the yard where Dozer is free to roam.    The goats and other 'farm' animals are on the other side of the house.

-Chad

Spuds mom

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 02:37:57 PM »
Those are 2 lucky torts!  What a difference 10 years makes!! 
3 boys (13, 10 & 8)
1 Russian tort
1 Florida box turtle
1 Sheltie, 1 longhair brindle dachshund, 1 poodle mix
1 very mean cat
1 sweet bunny, 1 guinea pig
1 firebelly newt, 1 beta fish
Sheila ~ Jacksonville, FLorida

moeNlily

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 06:32:45 AM »
wow, they are so cute! thats a big difference. do they interact a lot?
Sarah
North Reading, MA

chadk

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 09:20:05 AM »
NO.  This is the only time they have come in contact... and only as quickly as possible for the pic.  There should always be a period of quarantine when introducing a new animal.

They have noticed eachother throught the screen in the side of Thunder's pen.  Dozer seemed very curious and was really checking Thunder out. 

I would be very careful also as torts and expecially big male sulcatas, have a reputation for being bullies.  We'll see at some later point under good supervision, but probably not for quite a while.
-Chad

herb

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »
Dozer and Thunder are awesome!   Amazing creatures and it's great that you were able to add him to your home.   
3 Russian Torts., 2 cats, 2 German Shepards, 1 daughter, 2 sons, 1 Bartzilla, more ducks, & many visiting black vultures

Denise, Eastern PA