Author Topic: Sleeping and digging too much?  (Read 2692 times)

nomgod

Sleeping and digging too much?
« on: December 02, 2010, 04:55:53 AM »
I've had my tortoise for about a few weeks now. She seems fine in almost every respect she eats good, her shell is good, her poop is also fine. It's just she seems to be digging and sleeping a lot more than when I first received her. Now she even digs under the substrate and sleeps there for most of the day. Is that normal?? I have tried to read up as much as I can on tortoises but I am still a little paranoid since this is the first one Ive had.
-2 Red Eared Sliders...Rosco and Noms
-1 Russian Tortoise...Nika
-1 One roommate...That I occasionally refer to as my boyfriend =P

Eunice

Re: Sleeping and digging too much?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 07:52:04 AM »
I have two, my female Natasha spends most of the day sleeping.  If I don't wake her in the morning and put her under the heat lamp she will sleep all day and miss the food.  Once she is done eating she goes back to sleep and I don't see her again until the next morning.  I also wake her up to soak her.  My male Boris likes to burrow as well but as soon as the light gets turned on out he comes.  He looks for food eats then under the heat lamp for a nap.  As long as she is eating going to the bathroom and is not loosing weight I think she should be fine.  It's getting cold out and they somehow know it.

Good luck.
Proud mommy to Oreo 11 year old lab/rotty mix
Psycho 7 year old cat
Mondale, Squirt, Crush, Angel, red eared sliders ranging from 13-30 years old.
Boris, Natasha, and Maxim three RT's, and two Sulcata hatchlings named Bull and Dozer.
Windsor, Ontario Canada.

welovevader

• "...4...8...15...16...23...42..."
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 01:40:26 PM »
I've had my tortoise for about a few weeks now. She seems fine in almost every respect she eats good, her shell is good, her poop is also fine. It's just she seems to be digging and sleeping a lot more than when I first received her. Now she even digs under the substrate and sleeps there for most of the day. Is that normal?? I have tried to read up as much as I can on tortoises but I am still a little paranoid since this is the first one Ive had.

No need to worry ;). Try leaving the the lamp on for 14-15 hours a day (a timer works really well here). They can sense the change in seasons and start (or at least try) to hibernate. The longer UV and heat exposure should take care of that. Give it a few days and see how that works.
Robbie
Keeper of:
4 RTs: Thor(M), Penny(F), Sif(F), Satele(F)
2 CH/RF: Ruby(F) Rosie(F) Hatched by Vicki Hale
"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
East Mountains/Albuquerque, NM
Carolina Pet Supply

nomgod

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 04:21:30 AM »
Thanks for the advice! Yeah she eats just fine, in fact she will wake up only to go to her bowl and eat. If food isn't in it she stands there in the bowl until someone fills it up lol. I'll be sure to make the adjustments to my timer!
-2 Red Eared Sliders...Rosco and Noms
-1 Russian Tortoise...Nika
-1 One roommate...That I occasionally refer to as my boyfriend =P

drquilter

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 10:56:10 AM »
I was wondering about this too. Shelley, our new girl, is spending most of the day dug under and does not seem interested in being under the lamp, while Tula, our male, heads right for it in the morning. This is her first winter with us. I also never saw her eating until I started taking him out of the enclosure to give her space. I think she is not thrilled with having him bug her all the time. We took her in because we thought she was probably unhappy in her previous home, but not sure how much she is enjoying the company!
Dr. Quilter

brachaalizah

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 02:20:46 PM »
Kind of on the same topic as this, my little guy does a combination of the two.  He has made a little spot that he likes to dig and sleep in, and it happens to be RIGHT UNDER the heat lamp.  He just lays there and sleeps with his head pressed against the (warm) side of the enclosure.  Can they get too much heat during the day?

welovevader

• "...4...8...15...16...23...42..."
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »
Kind of on the same topic as this, my little guy does a combination of the two.  He has made a little spot that he likes to dig and sleep in, and it happens to be RIGHT UNDER the heat lamp.  He just lays there and sleeps with his head pressed against the (warm) side of the enclosure.  Can they get too much heat during the day?

Just make sure there is a cool end to which he can retreat . As long as there is a cool/shaded place for him to go, he'll move out from under the heat lamp if he gets too hot.
Robbie
Keeper of:
4 RTs: Thor(M), Penny(F), Sif(F), Satele(F)
2 CH/RF: Ruby(F) Rosie(F) Hatched by Vicki Hale
"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
East Mountains/Albuquerque, NM
Carolina Pet Supply

Smeag

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 09:00:29 PM »
I was having the same problem with my Herman (tortoise). He was not coming out to eat or anything, just slept all day. I am now keeping the light on for 14 - 15 hours per day and that has made all the difference in him. He is up with the first sign of the light on and walks around all day, eats like a piggy and does not go back to sleep until lights off. It made a big difference for him.
Donna, Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Home of One Human Husband,
Children included are:
1 Herman, RT
1 Smeagol, Cat
125 Gallon,many Tropical Fish
50 Gallon,6 Cichlids
10 Gallon, Hospital Tank

Eunice

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »
My female was burrowing and not coming out unless I got her up for weeks.  Now she is up with or before me and is up for most of the day.  She is eating on her own where before I had a hard time getting her to eat.  She wouldn't eat unless I hand fed her and even then only a few bites.  She is doing good now, they have both grown so much.  I have already received 4 requests for babies and they have not begun to breed yet. 
Proud mommy to Oreo 11 year old lab/rotty mix
Psycho 7 year old cat
Mondale, Squirt, Crush, Angel, red eared sliders ranging from 13-30 years old.
Boris, Natasha, and Maxim three RT's, and two Sulcata hatchlings named Bull and Dozer.
Windsor, Ontario Canada.