Author Topic: Russian tortoise aestivation  (Read 1396 times)

FrankieMom2007

Russian tortoise aestivation
« on: July 01, 2018, 05:51:15 AM »
Hi. I'm a new member hoping to get help with my tortoise. He stopped eating a few days ago and as of the last couple days he has been very lethargic and barely responds to touch. My first thought was that he was dying, however after doing research it seems he might be going through aestivation. But I've had him for 11 yrs and he's never done this before. Can anyone give me more details as to what I can look for to make sure?

zakastan

Re: Russian tortoise aestivation
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »
best bet here might be to visit the vet. Has the weather changed? Has it been hotter? My tortoises would go on a 3 day streak of being lazy and sleeping when it gets 40C+

FrankieMom2007

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 10:54:53 AM »
It has been around 95 F with a heat index of 103-105 F. That's not necessarily uncommon where I live, although on average its a little lower than that. I do plan on taking him to the vet tomorrow morning but am trying to still educate myself.

GBtortoises

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »
If the temperatures within your tortoises enclosure are 95 or above as you state the local temperatures are there is a good chance that you tortoise is succumbing to the excessive heat. As important as heat is tortoises so is the ability to be able to cool down to regulate their body temperature. Without being able to do so they can easily overheat. Because they do not sweat like mammals do to expel body heat tortoises cannot shed excess body heat without the ability to move to an area with cooler temperatures. Russian tortoises being a burrowing species, rarely spend time above ground when temperatures are too hot for them.

FrankieMom2007

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 03:05:16 AM »
Thank you for all your help but my baby left this world yesterday. 😢

sioux

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 11:36:46 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss, I found out today that I lost Big Mama, a 10" female, probably 15 years old. She was in her outside pen, in her favorite spot, under the loghouse. Her pen mate, Little Man is a 10 year old male, and seems quite upset and keeps returning to the spot I found her. I am going to presume it was overheating during the July heat wave. I had no idea this could happen, as it is a large pen with plenty of shade and burrows.

FrankieMom2007

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 02:14:59 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss also! Frankie was a 19 yr old male and our only tortoise. This was A HUGE learning experience for me! If I ever choose to get another tortoise friend I will be more prepared for  that might come up.

HutsieB

• am new to forum but not to turtles
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 06:16:52 PM »
I am so sorry you lost your baby. Heat can really bother a Russian, unless they are basking. I have had to lower my Russian's temperatures to see if he will wake up and eat. I think he is wild caught even though I was told he wasn't and he is not used to captivity. So he is not eating though I have offered him a bunch of choices. Good luck on your next tortoise.
ornate wood turtles, american wood turtles, spotted turtles, asian leaf turtle, keeled box turtle hatchling(to come) and a new Russian tortoise