Author Topic: New tortoise - advise re table set up and substrate  (Read 242 times)

Izz

New tortoise - advise re table set up and substrate
« on: December 01, 2018, 10:58:57 AM »
hi, i am a new owner of a lovely horsefield tortoise named Basil! I got him about 3 weeks ago and got a solid wood pine table 30 x24x8inches with built in enclosure, light, etc and a starter pack here:  https://www.happytortoisehabitat.co.uk/product/tortoise-starter-pack/

sorry all new to this so i have quite a few of questions :
- The substrate : the bedding that comes in the starter pack is readygrass, is that a good substrate for a horsefield, everything I read seem to say that I should be using a mixture of Earth sand and coir?  If it is ok then it seems very dry and I keep on reading that the substrate needs to be a little bit humid; a couple of time, Basil dug under  his water plate, overturned it and then buried himself in the damp readygrass, which is when I thought may be it is too dry and he likes it humid.... should I spray it with water slightly? Worried if I do it my go mouldy?
- The set Up: I put the ready grass /bedding  straight on the floor enclosure... should I have put a plastic sheet before putting the substrate or something to protect the wood from water spillage and its little wee. On one occasion he dug himself in a corner of his enclosure in the ready grass and then  had a wee, and that made me wonder if I should have put a protective layer, and also how best clean it? I obviously removed the wet readygrass and cleaned the area really well...  should I be using some form of disinfectant?
 Sorry about all the questions!  thanks in advance!

russianuncle

Re: New tortoise - advise re table set up and substrate
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 01:50:31 PM »
I see no one replied! Regarding pine, it's not good for Russians unless maybe severely masked by a coating of polyurethene, etc. Substrates I don't like incorporating sand with especially if not done borrectly and maintained. EcoEarth (coco coir) is popular and especially for areas where the walk and don.t need to burrow, ReptiBark by ZooMed also is fine in some cases and very easy to maintain and locate. eNVIRONMENT CAN BE DIFFERENT w/various homes and enclosures so rules can change! Hopefully you havae a UVA/UVB/Heat bulb like the ZooMed Powersun 100 watter, I keep 6 inches deep of substrate even w/ hides everywhere (not their outdoor enclosure though which is just lawn and no platform)
Luna-RT male
Jadely-RT female