Author Topic: Personality of Russian Tortoises???  (Read 4716 times)

autumnglory

Personality of Russian Tortoises???
« on: October 31, 2007, 03:46:22 PM »
What exactly IS the personality of a Russian Tortoise like?  I am a newbie... lots of experience with mammals, none with herps, and I'm trying to figure out which is best.  Here's my "scale" of friendliness... where would a RT come in?

0 - Pet rock.  No response to humans at all.
1 - Goldfish.  Recognizes humans, knows they bring food.  No interest otherwise.
2 - Betta.  Recognizes humans, sometimes likes to stare at them, whether or not food is offered.
5 - Gerbils.  Play on you, not with you.  Ask to come out of tank.  Recognize you, but not as an individual.  Like to be held, not so much stroked.
8 - Bearded dragon.  Seems to like people, but maybe it's just a heat thing... but still seems friendly and likes handling and petting.
10 - Cats, dogs, and rats.  Love you, show it in their own way, like to be petted, pine if not given enough attention, see you as another like themselves.

I called a place today and asked how you know if a herp likes you.  I got an, uhhhhh... it doesn't try to bite you.  Gads. 

Thoughts?

~Chris V ???
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 05:03:58 PM by autumnglory »

munchkin

• I'm sleepy...
Re: Personality of Russian Tortoises?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 04:06:24 PM »
It really depends on the rt itself.  The first we had was very affectionate, the second not so much.  The third we brought home at a very young age and she is more like a dog that anything else.  She loves to be fed by hand, have her head and chin scratched, loves her shell rubbed, falls asleep curled in my/my son's hand, will come running to the side of her enclosure if she knows you're around and if she doesn't get the attention she feels she deserves she climbs to the top of the log and sulks, looking at you the whole time.

She also loves to run around whatever room we are in and follows my son and sit in shoes--any shoe.  I never thought I would fall in love with these little guys but their personalities are so big and fun that I couldn't help it :D

Zookeeper

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 04:20:40 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum autumnglory.  I think munchkin pretty much summed it up, RT's personalities are as varied as human personalities.
Rosanna

autumnglory

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 05:02:40 PM »
So... how would I go about finding a nice, personable RT?  Most of the folks I talk to on classifieds seem totally perplexed that I'd ask about personality... they think it's supposed to be a collector item or something... ideas?

munchkin

• I'm sleepy...
Re: Personality of Russian Tortoises???
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 06:24:35 PM »
Investigate breeders, take the time to research their reputation and how they raise the hatchlings.  Are they handled, fed by hand, how are they kept and is it obvious that they care about the animals.  It will cost you more to go through a breeder but, from experience, so worth the additional cost.  As I said earlier, our little one is only a few months old so not grumpy or set in her ways.  Other than that, a good breeder should be able to give you an idea of the temperament of the hatchlings but there are no guarantees.

vinkel

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 04:44:34 AM »
Autumnglory, I love your friendliness scale!  Is that your own invention?

autumnglory

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 03:34:41 PM »
Yes, the friendliness scale is my own creation... I did my Masters Project on companion animals in the classroom, so I needed a way to "scale" the generalized dispositions of the most common pets.  The difficulty is exactly what Munchkin said... with every species that shows personality, there's a variation with individuals. 

I also see it a lot in gerbils, which I breed... I'm currently working on a selective breeding program with the ultimate goal of creating a line of super-social gerbils, so my breeding pairs are selected based on extroversion.  It's yielding some small fruits already, in three generations, and seems to be linked to the "extreme mottle" or SP+ gene.  Neat!

Well, I think I'll settle in for the long plod, looking for a pet-RT breeder; it seems that most out there are breeding "specimens" instead of "pets."  I'll find one eventually.  In the meantime, I'm going to give Lawsons Dragons a shot... they're a smaller version of the more popular Bearded Dragons, and supposedly have a lot of personality for a little lizard.  I'll poke my head out now and then to let folks here know what I've found in terms of pet-tortoise folks rather than collector-tortoise folks.   :)

Zookeeper

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 05:02:30 PM »
If you read my post to Rusty Kettle here you will find a list of pet-tortoise folks that own and breed tortoises just because they love them.
Rosanna

Jenn

• Carl
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 06:27:12 PM »
I might be a beginner at all this but what I have learned just from this web sight,some peeps on here are breeders and care for there torts very much.Thats why there her and to help other peeps take care of there tort.

Jen
1 RT's
1 Leopard Gecko
2 Dogs
3 Kids
http://aboxturtle.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1215
Jennifer
Fernley,NV

mksu1dr

• Flash!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 05:35:36 PM »
Well I am new to this world, but I would put my tortoise somewhere between the gerbil and the bearded dragon.  And I think that even fluxes day to day.  Flash and I are still trying to get to know each other.  Some days she seems to really enjoy my attention and other days she clearly wants me to just go away.
Chelle
TURBONIUM TO THE RESCUE!!
Here in a Flash - Gone in A Flash

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin" -
W.Shakespeare

Morgan Hill, CA (Nothern Cal- Bay Area)