Author Topic: Tort Toys?  (Read 6959 times)

chemistry09

Tort Toys?
« on: July 18, 2008, 03:35:47 PM »
Just curious.... what extras do people put in their tort pens?  I feel like their lives are so boring... but I don't know what else to add to spice up their life a bit.  Any recommendations for "tort toys"?

jlancaster

• A Full Family Meal
Re: Tort Toys?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »
Toss in a couple of Barbies and a game of Battleship.  Mine love it! ;D
James Lancaster
College Station, Texas
Russians (2.3.0), Leopards (2.3.0), Rat Terrier (1.0.0), Wild Box Turtles in the Woods (3.2.0) and Family (2.3.0)

KQ6AR

• Galery
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:52:46 AM »
how about playstation 3 & a big screen.

Then I might move in with them.

I've never noticed any of mine playing with anything outdoors.

Dan
Dan Goemmel
20+ Russians
7 Marginata's
Keeping russian's since 1997 & Breeding since 2000
Concord, CA
http://www.russiantortoisepictures.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=13272

Jenn

• Carl
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 01:36:01 PM »
I put some dogs balls in mine.
They didnt care for them at all,so I took them out.
They really dont play with anything.
You can add some rocks to climb over.
I also take them out everyday for excersize.
1 RT's
1 Leopard Gecko
2 Dogs
3 Kids
http://aboxturtle.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1215
Jennifer
Fernley,NV

TwinCitiesTortoiser

• Anastasia & Dmitri
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 04:57:15 PM »
Toss in a couple of Barbies and a game of Battleship.  Mine love it! ;D

Wouldn't the battleships piecies be too small for them to pay with? I have no idea, but it seems to me like they would be able to choke on them.

jlancaster

• A Full Family Meal
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 06:08:23 PM »
Battleship is perfect.  The pieces don't have a taste and they are the right size for them to grab and place with their mouth. ;)

Actually I do have some toys in their pen.  I gave them some little plastic balls a couple inches in diameter that were dog toys.  They don't "play" with them per se, but I leave them under their lamps and they often just barrel over them like anything else.  But it's a challenge because of their size, so if gives them exercise crawling over them.
James Lancaster
College Station, Texas
Russians (2.3.0), Leopards (2.3.0), Rat Terrier (1.0.0), Wild Box Turtles in the Woods (3.2.0) and Family (2.3.0)

VICtort

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 06:59:06 PM »
Just curious.... what extras do people put in their tort pens?  I feel like their lives are so boring... but I don't know what else to add to spice up their life a bit.  Any recommendations for "tort toys"?

Humor aside, you bring up a good point.  We have a moral duty to try and provide a stimulating environment, and avoid the problems associated with boredom, obesity etc.  The best Zoos make a real effort at this...  What you can do for a tortoise is provide challenges within the environment, things to climb over, make them work a bit to get places.  I use terraces in my outdoor pens, it creates challenges and provides varying areas of humidity and substrate, it gives them choices for egg laying etc.  I purposely put rocks in the path, forcing them around or over, just to give them something to do and to get out of each others line of sight (important to much maligned females pursued by ornery amorous males).  Give them plants to eat and smell, you can grow them in containers and rotate the containers.  You may grow various bird seeds, clovers, etc.  Grow sedums, and let them browse the lower branches, aloes etc.  Keep rotating the plants to allow the grazed plants to recover, otherwise they will graze it down to a stump.  A lot of discussion about water bowls, I would offer it 3x a week and remove it, most will make a mess out of it with indoor set-ups.  I think feeding time is the highlight (mating too, at least for the males) of a tortoises day, and they love to bask in the morning Sun, they enjoy the simple pleasure in life.  Keep it simple and clean...  good luck, Vic H.
Vic Herrick

mlong

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 08:09:30 AM »
Great topic!

I wouldn't mind someone putting a playstation and big screen in my enclosure!  :D

I keep a couple large rocks, some chunks of wood and a hollow log in Indy's pen for him to climb over, around, and dig under.  I wouldn't call it "playing", but it keeps him busy.   :)

I like Victort's idea of moving around the plants.  I think I'll try that.  Its like a puzzle for them trying to figure out where their food went.  ;)

Jules

• relaxin'
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 09:05:44 AM »
A lot of discussion about water bowls, I would offer it 3x a week and remove it, most will make a mess out of it with indoor set-ups. 

I have never had any problem with leaving the bowl in the enclosure. No mess at all.  I have even found torts sitting in the bowl.

I have heard that some torts like those little balls and push them around. mine does NOT, but I leave it in there anyway. 

I agree with Vic, make the environment interesting.  I have a ramp that mine can go on and rocks all over.
Jules
Chicago

Ramses

• Ramses
    • MySpace
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
Petsmart sells a bag of flat stackable rocks in the reptile isle.  They are synthetic so you don't have to worry about where they came from.  My tort loves to climb over them and bask on them.  They are a reddish color (terra cotta) so it looks nice.  I am also getting a Repti Rock ramp bowl for him to go in.  They are a bit expensive but will last forever, no micro pits.
Chris
Ramses (RT) & Heath (RFT)
Orlando, FL

RoTTen2TheCore

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 09:05:35 AM »
Well i have had my russian tort for about 3 weeks now and i love taking him out and just watching him crawl around my room. If you want something for your russian tortoise to "play" with try giving him/her a cherry tomato! of course you shouldnt do it often cause of the whole fruit thing but i guess once a month is ok. Plus its adorable to watch. Found this vid on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_N_rjkdcKU
Mano Doskis
1 Russian
Got my 1st Russian tort in Oct 2008
Montreal, Canada

kmiller

• Doubledecker Torts
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 07:54:10 PM »
I think variety is key to keeping them stimulated.  I have four RTs in a two by four tort table my husband made for them.  I wanted to keep it interesting, and because I know they like to climb and burrow tried to give them a habitat with variety of surfaces and materials. We use bed a beast with playground sand mixture as a substrate and try to vary the moisture from one end to the other.

We pried the bark off a piece of large piece of fir firewood, baked in the oven to kill any critters, use it as a ramp up to their shelf lined with ceramic tile.  They can bask ontop of their shelf, or burrow underneath.  They have a log hide to climb over, sleep in.  I have a pile of medium sized river size rocks (washed and soaked in super hot hot water to sanitize) I rearrange these as a small barrier between feeding stations, they power over them in nothing flat.  I also have a couple short lengths of branches from my apple tree (sharp points trimmed off and oven heated to kill any critters) I put at random spots to create an added obstacle course, and lastly some large pieces of natural slate for basking. The bonus is I never have to trim claws, and there are plenty of sight breaks if they are not feeling social, several choices of sleeping areas and also three different feeding stations.  We also found a large cuttlebone (the types for parrots) sold in bulk at our local pet store, they will not touch it for months and then suddenly I see all kinds of new nibble marks and it is constantly in a different spot.

They live in our home office and it is not uncommon to notice them climbing to highest spots to see what we are doing or begging!
Proud mom to four RTs -Ellie & Vinnie, Queenie & Hook.
Two BTs-Zoey & Zeyna (Boston Terrors)