Author Topic: Tiny White spots and soft under shell  (Read 2470 times)

tezlum

Tiny White spots and soft under shell
« on: May 09, 2011, 07:29:54 PM »
Hi i have had my rt for about a year now and i bought him when he was about 4 months old. He had pin small white dots al over his top shell, but all the new groth doesnt have any white spots. He has been not very active latly and not eating and rubbing his eyes and not opening them. His bottem shell it ever so slightly soft but he is still very small. I have just tried turtle eye drops on him but he still doesnt open his eyes. What would be woung with him?

ginababy

• Baxter
Re: Tiny White spots and soft under shell
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:38:12 AM »
Can you give us some information about the environment you keep him in, what you are feeding him, lighting, etc.  That would help, so we know if there is something you should be doing differently.  When they rub their eyes, it could be the substrate is too dry and irritating to the eyes.
Gina,  Fishkill, NY
1 Russian Tortoise - Miss Baxter
1 yellow lab - Shelby

tezlum

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:26:17 AM »
He's got a 4' by 2' rubbermaid to live in with about 2-3" of coconut on the bitten. His basking light is around 90-95 and  70-75 at night on hot side . On the other side its about 70- 75 in the day and at night it doesn't get colder than 70 , I'm not sure it it should be colder at night but he's not very active. His humidity is 50-60 and I never let his substrate get dry ,and I change it everycouple months. And to I noticed he has lost 6 grams in weight over that past two months and he only weighs 27 grams now and he's only about 2" x 2" on his top shell

Thats a picture of him
http://russiantort.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=125432018
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:10:53 AM by tezlum »

ginababy

• Baxter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
Do you soak him every few days?  What kind of bulb are you using and how long do you leave it on for during the day?  What are you feeding him? Regarding the substrate, it is recommended to use 50/50 mix of coconut coir and playsand because it holds the moisture better. 
Gina,  Fishkill, NY
1 yellow lab - Shelby

tezlum

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 05:21:35 PM »
Do you soak him every few days?  What kind of bulb are you using and how long do you leave it on for during the day?  What are you feeding him? Regarding the substrate, it is recommended to use 50/50 mix of coconut coir and playsand because it holds the moisture better. 

I soak hum every couple days. I use two 2.0 uva/uvb bulbs, i leave  it on 13 hours a day and i put a bit of sand in with the coconut
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:00:51 PM by tezlum »

ginababy

• Baxter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 05:27:11 AM »
Not sure what bulb you are using, but according to everyone  here, the T-Rex and Powersun are the best.  T-Rex should be replaced once a year and Powersun (not sure, but might be 6 months??).  Maybe you need a new bulb, maybe the bulb you have is causing problems with his eyes.  I leave my light on for 15 hours/day and that has made a huge difference with my RT.  Much more active.  You should also be soaking for 20-30 minutes in luke warm water couple of times a week.  Have you tried enticing him with his favorite food?  Most torts love dandelions.  I hope someone else will pipe in here with some other suggestions for you.
Gina,  Fishkill, NY
1 yellow lab - Shelby

welovevader

• "...4...8...15...16...23...42..."
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:59:20 AM »

I soak hum every couple days. I use two 2.0 uva/uvb bulbs, i leave  it on 13 hours a day and i put a bit of sand in with the coconut

Based on all of the info provided, I, too, think it's your bulbs. It's not this is it? Either way, like Gina said, the best bulb is the T-Rex Active UVHeat 100w (or the 160w version of it-just hang it higher-minimum of 18"). If the T-Rex isn't available for whatever reason (the 100w were on backorder, but they should be back instock very soon I'm thinking), the Zoo Med Powersun 100w is second best (it's still a good bulb, it just doesn't have the UVB output that the T-Rex does. Here's a comparison on the UVB output levels.

The great thing about either of those bulbs is that not only do they give good levels UVB, but they also produce heat; you'll only need one of these nice 2-in-1s. Here's a good fixture for them. Here's another fixture. This makes for a great stand, too. Just some recommendations.  :)

As for enticing him to eat, try Radicchio; it's another favorite of RTs.
Robbie
Keeper of:
2 RTs: Thor(M) & Penny(F)
R.I.P My sweet girls, Sif and Satele.
2 CH/RF: Ruby(F) Rosie(F) Hatched by Vicki Hale
East Mountains/Albuquerque, NM
Carolina Pet Supply

Didi

• Tilly and Tess playing leapfrog
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 04:33:08 PM »
Can you also tell us a bit about where you bought him and what they said about the white spots?  You should probably take him to a vet.
Tilly and Tess live with their mom in sunny Southern Oregon.  Hatched by Dan during the summer of 2008.

tezlum

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »
I bought him from a breeder in winnpeg and I live on Vancouver island and the white spots are going away. And I took him to a vet today and he said to force feed him a tiny amount of dog food to boost his vitamin a and protine and like 0.1 g or lest for a month

Didi

• Tilly and Tess playing leapfrog
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 08:21:40 PM »
Tortoises are vegetarians and do not need the grain and protein in commercial dog food!
Tilly and Tess live with their mom in sunny Southern Oregon.  Hatched by Dan during the summer of 2008.

tezlum

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 08:29:30 PM »
Tortoises are vegetarians and do not need the grain and protein in commercial dog food!

What would you recomend to do them if he wont eat, and cant see, and loosing weight?

Irwin4530

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 12:57:40 AM »
Just an idea.....I AM HONESTLY JUST GUESSING"
But...
could you dice up the greens or even blend them into a pulp (maybe with a bit of water)
and....using a syringe (like a wormer plunger)....force feed him that? 
wouldnt that be better then the dog food??
I would not put any suppliments into the paste but at lease
you would be getting some greens into him.

What do you guys think  ??? ???
6 Russians, 2 Greeks, 4 Boxies
3 Red foot, 3 yellow-foot,
4 Leo's and 2 DBT's

ginababy

• Baxter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 03:26:29 AM »
I would think trying to force feed him would stress him out more.  Have you tried dandelions or raddicchio?  Dogfood is a definite no no!!  What did the vet say about his eyes?  Does he open them at all?  You never did answer the question from Robbie about what bulb you are currently using.  It could be the problem. 
Gina,  Fishkill, NY
1 yellow lab - Shelby

tezlum

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 05:24:07 AM »
He said about his eyes are ok but the closed cuz he needs more vitamin a and I use two exotetra 5.0 bulbs and a 100 watt infered heat light and they don't sell t-rex in Canada. And two one Nile is compact/coil and I think it might be causing the eye problem and one is a tube .
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:32:41 AM by tezlum »

shellietort

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 05:30:31 AM »
thankfully the wite spots are fading.  I don't know what to say about the force feeding.   neither I nor my vet are able to force anything ie worm meds down shellie.She pulls her head in and we cannot get it out.
Mary....Shelllie and Skippy's mama